Gel nail polish is a type of nail polish that requires a UV or LED light to cure. When applied on your nails, gel nail polish won’t chip for up to two weeks and removes just like regular nail polish. Gel nail polish can be applied at home with a little practice, but if you want professional results, an appointment at the salon is the best way to go.
If you’re looking for a nail color that will last for days on end without chipping, gel nail polish is for you. This salon-quality manicure can last up to two weeks and is available in every shade from sheer nude to deep purple. While getting your nails done at the salon is ideal, you can apply gel nail polish at home if you know what you’re doing.
Here are ten things you should know before trying this trendy manicure at home:
1. It’s not just any old nail polish.
2. It’s time consuming (but worth it).
3. You’ll need the right tools and products.
4. Prepare your nails for application (and removal).
5. Apply cuticle oil and then remove excess oil with alcohol wipes.
6. Apply lotion to your fingertips and wipe off excess with alcohol wipes (optional).
1. Gel nail polish is a great way to protect your nails. It lasts longer than regular nail polish and doesn’t chip easily. Applying gel nail polish at home is just as easy as applying regular nail polish. Just be sure to use an LED lamp for curing the gel polish.
2. Be sure to use an LED lamp with your gel nail kit, otherwise it won’t cure properly and will wash off in the shower or smudge very quickly.
3. If you are looking for a great gel nail kit and LED lamp combo, check out this one from Red Carpet Manicure or this set from Sensationail that comes with everything you need for a perfect at home manicure.
4. After applying the base coat of gel color, cure your nails under the lamp for 30 seconds using the low setting then apply another coat of color and cure again for 30 seconds using the high setting (if you’re using an LED lamp).
5. When applying gel nail polish be sure to wipe off any excess color on the brush on the side of the bottle before application because too much color on the brush will result in more polish being applied to your nails which can lead to smearing when curing under the LED lamp.
6. If you accidentally
Gel nail polish is a great way to get a long-lasting manicure. If you are looking for a professional look, gel nails are the best option. However, there are things that you need to know before applying gel nail polish at home.
Gel nail polish is not the same as regular nail polish. Check out these 10 tips that can help you prevent mistakes when applying the gel nail polish at home.
1. Get the Right Materials
You need materials for removing your old manicure, preparing your nails and applying the gel nail polish. You also need materials for curing it under UV light and removing the sticky layer after curing.
The materials you need include:
Gel cleanser or acetone
Nail buffer (optional)
Lint-free wipes or cotton balls soaked in acetone/gel cleanser
UV or LED lamp (36 Watts)
Base coat and top coat
Gel nail polish colors of your choice
1. You cannot apply gel nail polish on top of your regular nail polish.
2. Gel nail polish must be cured under a UV light to harden.
3. The gel nail polish application process is fairly simple but you will need to purchase a few supplies such as a UV light, base coat, top coat and gel nail polish colors of your choice.
4. To remove gel nail polish, your nails will need to be soaked in acetone for about 10 minutes to break down the product before scraping it off with a cuticle stick or an orange stick (the wooden kind).
5. Gel nails should be filed into the desired shape before applying the base coat so that you don’t have to do so after curing the color, which can weaken your nails.
6. Before applying gel nail polish, make sure you prep your nails by pushing back your cuticles and filing away any dead skin around the edges of your nails.
7. Don’t forget to apply lotion or oil to your hands and cuticles after removing your old gel nail polish and before applying new colors, as this will prevent dryness and peeling after removal!
8. If you’re going out on vacation or just want some extra time between manicures then try using
1. Gel nail polish is a type of nail polish that uses ultraviolet or LED light to cure and harden the polish
If you’re going to DIY your manicure, follow these tips from nail artist and educator Loni Preato to make the process easier and your gel nails last.
1. Start with clean, dry nails. “Clean your nails with isopropyl alcohol and push back your cuticles before you start,” Preato says. “It helps the gel adhere to the natural nail better.”
2. Apply a thin coat of primer, then cure it under a UV or LED light for 30 seconds to one minute. “It will help the gel stick better, last longer and not damage your nail,” Preato says. Afterward, wash off that tacky layer on top of your nails with rubbing alcohol or soap and water so the next coat of polish can adhere properly.
3. Apply the base coat and cure it under a light for one minute. It’s important to use a base coat because it will protect your nail from staining and make removing the polish easier later on. Also, be sure to seal off the edges of your nail as you apply each coat so nothing peels up later on.
4. Apply color coats — two is optimal —
We’ve talked a lot about gel polish, shellac and how to apply it yourself at home. But if you’ve ever done a gel manicure at home before, you know that there are a few things that can go wrong. From nails that are oily to nails that are too thin or too white, there are some common problems people run into when applying their own gel polish.
To help you avoid the same mistakes, we asked nail technician Sarah Waite of Paintbox in New York City for her tips for applying your own gel polish. Here’s what you need to know: