I love gel nails, but I hate going to the salon. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind the pampering experience and I always leave with a smile on my face. But the price, oh my God the price! Gel nails are not cheap, at least not where I live.
So when I first heard that you could do an at-home gel manicure, I was ecstatic. A few months later and I have to say that it’s one of the best ideas I’ve ever had in my life. Not only do I get a beautiful manicure for way less money, but it also lasts so much longer than your traditional nail polish.
What’s not to love?
I’ve been using a UV lamp and gel nail polish for almost half a year now and after reading up on them, trying out various techniques and products, as well as answering many questions from friends and readers who are just as excited about this trend as I am, today I’m going to share with you 10 things you should know about gel nail polish (but were too afraid to ask).
1. Gel nail polish is a great way to give yourself a manicure that lasts for up to two weeks.
2. It must be cured under a UV lamp to set, but does not damage the nails underneath.
3. It comes in many different colors and can be applied over acrylic nails.
4. Gel polish is more expensive than traditional nail polish, but lasts much longer.
5. Like regular nail polish, it will wear off if you use your hands for strenuous activities like washing dishes or gardening.
6. The base coat and top coat are both clear polish, so they should not change the color of your nails in any way.
7. You will need to remove the gel nail polish before you apply another gel manicure or regular manicure on top of it!
8. Before applying gel nail polish, you should always clean your nails with an alcohol pad first to remove dirt and oil from the surface so that it sticks better!
9. Gel nail polish can cause dryness around your cuticles if left on too long; make sure you remove it after two weeks or sooner if needed!
10. You should never peel off gel nail polish because this will damage both the top layer of skin on your fingertips as well
Gel nail polish was introduced to the industry in 2010. Since then, it has revolutionized the way women get their nails done. Here are some of the most common questions people have about gel nail polish:
Is gel nail polish safe?
Yes, gel nail polish is safe. All nail polishes are made with a combination of resins, polymers and plasticizers. The difference is that gel nail polishes use photo-initiators (light-activated chemicals) instead of air-drying solvents. While all nail polishes require care and should be used in moderation, gel nail polishes are no more harmful than traditional ones.
How long does a gel manicure last?
A classic manicure lasts about two weeks; a gel manicure can last for two to three weeks.
Is it better than regular polish?
Gel polishes are stronger than classic ones because they adhere to your nails better. They also stay intact for a longer period of time, which is why they are so popular. Gel manicures are considered an upgrade from classic ones because they cost more money and take longer to apply – but the results are worth it!
Why do you need UV light?
The UV light is used to cure the gel
1. What is gel nail polish?
Gel nail polish is a long-lasting variety of nail polish made up of a type of methacrylate polymer. It is painted on the nail similar to traditional nail polish, but does not dry. Instead it is cured under an Ultraviolet light which reacts with the polymers, hardening the gel and creating that long lasting glossy finish. Gel manicures can last up to three weeks without chipping or peeling and are more flexible than traditional nail polish meaning they are less prone to chipping.
2. How do I use gel nail polish?
Gel polishes need to be applied in thin layers as thick layers will not cure properly and will leave you with a lumpy bumpy mess on your nails! The first layer of colour should be applied thinly over the nails and cured under a UV lamp for 30 seconds (if using an LED lamp, cure for 15 seconds). A second coat of colour can then be applied in the same way and cured for 30 seconds (LED 15 seconds). Finally, apply one thin layer of top coat and cure for 30 seconds (LED 15 seconds). Wipe over each nail with an acetone soaked cotton pad to remove any sticky residue left on the surface of the nails.
Aside from the fact they help you achieve the perfect manicure and make your nails look a whole lot trendier, gel nail polishes are also known to be more durable than regular nail polishes.
In other words, when you use gel nail polish, you can enjoy having perfectly polished and healthy nails for up to three weeks without any chipping or cracking.
But there’s also another downside to using gel nail polish. According to some sources, it can damage your nails if you don’t use it properly. And that is why we’ve decided to answer some of the most common questions people have about this product and give you all the information you need in order for your nails to stay healthy and beautiful at the same time.
1. Gel nail polish is not actually a type of nail polish, but a technique in which a gel-based polish is applied to your nails and then cured under an LED lamp. It’s the same technology used to cure dental fillings and sealants.
2. The gel manicure process begins with cleaning the surface of your nails to remove any traces of nail polish or oil, so that the gel can better stick to your nails. Your cuticles are then pushed back and shaped, and your nails filed and buffed.
3. With gel nail polish, there’s no need for nail polish remover, which can dry out your nails and leave them brittle. You simply soak your fingers in warm water for 10 minutes to break down the gel, scrape off any remaining bits with a cuticle stick or scraper, push back the remaining cuticles, and apply moisturizer.
4. Gel manicures can last for up to two weeks without chipping or peeling – sometimes longer! It’s also more difficult for gels to chip because there are no sharp edges on your nails as you would have with regular polish.
5. Because UV light is used to cure gel manicures, you do risk exposure to its cancer-causing rays when getting
When it comes to gel nail polish, we’re all just a little bit curious as to what really goes on behind the scenes. Whether it’s how they actually work or whether they cause damage to your nails, there are so many things we want to know. So we did some digging and got chatting to the experts who gave us their top tips, and some pretty cool behind the scenes info.
1. They don’t get their name from being ‘gel-like’
“Gel is not a texture – it’s a type of polish that uses a unique polymer to harden in a UV or LED lamp,” says Dominic Skinner, Global Ambassador for OPI. “It’s shiny, glossy and super long-lasting.”
2. Gel Manicures are still one of the most popular beauty treatments in salons
“The gel manicure industry is worth £811 million and growing at 4.4% annually,” says Jessica Vartoughian, founder of Jessica Cosmetics International. “That’s why you see so many different brands trying to get into this category.”
3. You’ve been using gels wrong this whole time
“Gel nails should be worn for no longer than two weeks,” says Becky Hogg, Nail Expert for